Monday, February 2, 2009

Rats - just about no excuses left to not do actual work...

The relationship between kitten and dog is still frosty (or nippy might be a better term). Kitten needs a bit of fattening i think to have a better chance against the sherman tank that is our westie. Hmmm. In the meantime, I am getting on with writing the first few chapters of a new story of which i submitted only the outline to a publisher last Friday. Is going well apart from having to do actual work. Here is a sample:-

“No Mum, I really don’t need you to take me to school.”
“But it’s your first day, Thomas. You won’t know anybody.”
I wanted to say, and that’s the way I like it, but I didn’t. It would only upset her.
“I’m okay walking Mum. It’ll save you petrol.”
“True,” Mum agreed, looking round as if she’d lost something.
I knew that would work. People say it all the time but cars can’t actually run on the smell of an oily rag.
“I wish I could have got the shoes,” Mum said, pulling my polo shirt down at the back as if it would make it longer. Our new neighbour Mrs Robert’s son Keith (now at University) had been a lot shorter than me.
“I don’t mind wearing my sandals Mum.”
“It’s nearly winter…”
“I can last till next term.” I wanted her to stop fussing. Sure I was going to get hassled about having roman sandals on. I had at the school before the last one. If that was my biggest problem I could handle it.
“I could walk with you?”
“MUM!”

Still have one more child to go back to school. She starts tomorrow at 10.30, the following day at the normal time of 8.30 and then Friday's a holiday. I will not be sympathetic to any complaints about the hardship of school life. It will be fab to have the house to myself again (apart from the warring cat and dog). There is a lot of writing work to do and luckily no external distractions as of yet beyond the usual domestic chores and family raising (although i am working on a plan for the 21st wedding anniversary coming up on February 14th - something original, romantic and totally fun - I have a lot of work to do :)).

1 comment:

Fifi Colston said...

Almost snap! I got married on the 12th Feb 26 years ago. Valentines day for me will be spent at my studio with the Fringe Festival Open Studios tour. I am hoping people will come visit and make a cute Valentines day card with materials provided and leave their name on my data base...