Sunday, August 9, 2009

Swimming through the troughs...

Ok, should I be worried I just bettered my score on Solitaire (3 card draw) to 19,000 points plus, with a time of 38 seconds. I think I should. Is there money in this like there is in poker - maybe I should change careers (or just hang my head in shame). I blame microsoft. I wonder if anyone has sued them over the time-wasting, distracting games they provide as part of their standard software. Yes I know i had to hunt the game down when we bought the new computer and loaded the latest software and yes I know I make a choice whenever I click on the games. It helps me think - like white noise - I tell myself. And look at my great score. Maybe its a good thing my writing deadlines are all still self imposed. Or maybe I'd play less and write more if my deadlines were more strict. We may never know. How often do writers wonder if they have peaked and may never write a decent thing ever again. I can't remember where I read it but i recently came across a comment responding to the theory that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become really proficient at something (writing, painting, golf, tennis etc..). The commentor suggested it wasn't so much that it took 10,000 hours practice but more likely that it was about hanging in there that long. 10,000 is alot of hours and most people would have dropped out because they decided it wasn't really for them, they were bored or found something else they would rather do. Of course all this means is that I can't blame anyone else if i drop out of this business. Yes, you've peaked if you then walk away and do something else. Only by hanging in there do we give ourselves the chance to climb the next peak or find that there is one even higher or better or on a completely different continent. Perhaps success in any business isn't measured by the number of peaks we reach but the fact that we survive through the troughs. I'd better go and write a few more words then I guess...

1 comment:

Fifi Colston said...

It depends on if you are doing the same thing repeated 10,000 times, or making fresh progress.

I think I have created a new time space continuem that involves me going backwards 10,000 hours for every 60 minutes I spend at writing.
At this rate I will have finished my next WIP last decade so it will already be out of print before I launch...